Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Introduction

Reporting live from New York City, on Fox News Network, we are….

Interns.

As we immerse ourselves within the exciting and fast-paced environment of the top national news network, we could not be any more proud of our accomplishment and enthusiastic about the summer ahead of us. We are preparing for our careers as journalists and paving our future by learning from the absolute best in the industry.

However, once our shifts end and we exit the doors of the News Corporation building, we are merely college students in New York City. This pairing of occupation and residence is not typically complementary. We are in the midst of the most extraordinary city in the United States; it is truly incredible how such a small island could be overflowing with countless cultural attractions, history, breathtaking sights, exciting events, and memorable activities.

Needless to say, New York City is the center of attention, and it is highly difficult to divert our own attention away from its booming energy. However, the city’s liveliness does come at a price - a very high price - as Manhattan is notorious for being extremely expensive. And, as interns, there is one problem that we all will face: empty pockets.

Before I began my first year at New York University, I anticipated that my tight (or lack of) budget would prevent me from taking advantage of all that the city has to offer. But I was wrong. Manhattan may drain tourists’ funds, but that is only because their tourist guidebooks direct them to the overpriced attractions that they “absolutely cannot miss!”

So, my advice to all of my fellow interns is to throw away your NYC tourist guides, as they are the wrong place to resort to when formulating your night and weekend plans. Instead, follow my blog "City Steals," as I will share New York’s best cultural attractions, events, health and exercise activities, sightseeing, entertainment, food, and leisure activities – that are all free, and what I like to call “city steals.”

Check back every Thursday for the latest “city steals!”

No comments:

Post a Comment